Grandson broke into dead grandad’s home in will dispute

By Crown Court Reporter in Law

A DRUNKEN burglar raided his dead grandfather’s house and stole valuable antiques which he thought he should have been left in his will.

Sean Williams spent the night boozing with a friend at pubs in Newton Abbot and Liverton before going to the empty bungalow where the other man broke in through a window.

His friend Andrew Buckley took a brass lamp and a Capo di Monte statuette which he passed out through a window to Williams. Buckley then helped himself to bottles of port and sherry before they both left.

The antiques were worth £3,300 but Williams sold them for just £190 at a bric-a-brac shop in Torbay.

Williams, aged 46, of Paignton, admitted burglary and failing to surrender to bail and was jailed for 15 months, suspended for two years, and curfewed for three months by Recorder Mr Rufus Taylor at Exeter Crown Court.

Buckley, aged 40, of Beaumont Close, Liverton, was jailed for eight months, suspended for two years at an earlier hearing.

The Recorder told Williams: ‘At the time of the burglary you were in dispute with your grandfather’s partner Doreen Hull over his will, which has since been settled.

‘You have now spent more than six weeks in custody, which will have been a reminder to you of the regime inside Exeter prison.’

During a fact-finding hearing last year the judge heard how Williams and Buckley went to his late grandfather Ronald Deathridge’s empty home in Summerlands Copse, Liverton, near Newton Abbot, on February 5, 2015.

They had been drinking at the Jolly Farmer in Newton Abbot and the Star Inn at Liverton. Williams had an injured leg and did not go inside but Buckley climbed through a window after using a wheelie bin to reach it.

He was caught after leaving a DNA sample on the window sill as he passed out a 4ft brass standard lamp and a Capo di Monte statue to Williams. He also took three bottles of port for himself.

Miss Bathsheba Cassel, defending, said Williams has been in custody ever since he was arrested in January because he jumped his bail.

She said there was a dispute over Mr Deathridge’s will because it left everything to his ex-partner. The will was disputed and has now been settled with a 50/50 split between Ms Hull and the Williams family.