A BUILDING fire, multi-vehicle crash and a gas leak were among five incidents Newton Abbot’s Firefighters dealt with over a hectic 24 hours.
They took to Facebook last night, Saturday, to describe their very busy day working alongside colleagues from various stations.
‘One of these incidents saw both of our appliances mobilise alongside Torquay to reports of a building fire.
‘Upon the arrival of the IC (Incident Commander) from Torquay, it was clear that the fire had started in a motorbike, which then spread up the building.
‘The owners quick thinking saw them apply water to the fire from their domestic hose pipe. ‘Crews utilised a hose reel jet in order to fully extinguish the fire from both the house and the motorbike.
‘Whilst crews went into the attic space of the property to check for fire spread, another crew pitched a 105 ladder (measuring 10.5 meters) to the fascia.
‘This was in order to check for fire damage and cut away the damaged areas.
‘The quick thinking from the owner helped reduce the overall escalation of the fire. ‘However, we always recommend getting yourselves to a place of safety and calling us on 999 in the event of a fire.
‘The other incidents we attended during this period included reports of a gas leak, a multi-vehicle RTC (Road Traffic Collision), a fire alarm and finally, reports of a domestic house fire.’
The Mid-Devon Advertiser salutes all our firefighters for their unflinching duty.