It will be an all-Peninsula League East affair in the final of the Devon Premier Cup as holders Liverton United join the previous night's victors Stoke Gabriel for the showdown at Coach Road in six weeks time, after a gripping 120 minutes of football at Newton Abbot Spurs' Recreation Ground, writes Mark Hayman.

Should the Halford-based club go on to retain the trophy they won last May, then they may well look back on this semi-final battle royale as the game when their name was etched on to the cup.

Their South Devon League opponents turned in a gallant display and were certainly impressive with their football, never say die attitude and ability to stop Liverton playing, but ultimately United are a good side for a reason and over the course of the two hours they gradually ground down the opposition before eeking out a 109th-minute winner.

In front of a large crowd, Athletic's second string gave as good as they got throughout a competitive first spell and shook their higher League opposition with a well executed strike on 42 minutes – Chris Mitchell carving a self-made opening before hitting his shot from just inside the box beyond the outstretched Ben Hardee.

United threw caution to the wind at the start of the second half, having long spells of possession and creating numerous chances, but with the clock ticking down the question was have they missed the boat?

But, with nine minutes remaining they found an equaliser.

Robbie Bowker hoisted the ball in from the right flank and Joe Bushin reacted just that spilt second quicker than his marker and the onrushing keeper to glance the ball into the corner of the net, the relief among the United players and management clear for all to see.

Extra-time was no more than Adam Castle's battlers deserved, but they were finally undone four minutes into the second period of extra-time as Ollie Booth latched on to a defensive mix-up before gleefully drilling the ball home from 15 yards.

The Homers Heath lads had given their all, but were now running on empty as Liverton saw out the final moments to set up a date in the final against Stoke Gabriel.