TWO dogs and two cats were rescued from a building in Newton Abbot.

Alongside their colleagues from Torquay, the crew from Newton Abbot Fire Station attended a domestic property fire yesterday, Saturday, March 30.

The property was well alight upon arrival and all persons were accounted for, but pets were still in the building.

Crews donned breathing apparatus and rescued two dogs and two cats from the property.

Pet therapy masks were used to give oxygen to the animals.

Crews put the fire out using two hose reel jets.

Two positive pressure fans were used to clear the property of smoke.

Paramedics also attended and treated three adults for smoke inhalation.

‘The cause of the fire was deliberate ignition’ a spokesperson for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said.

‘The property was severely damaged at the porch and front door, with the rest of the property sustaining smoke damage’ the spokesperson added.