UNATTENDED cigarettes have been linked to a fire in a bedroom at a Teignmouth flat.

Two fire appliances from Teignmouth were sent to flats on Kingsway in Teignmouth, following a call from one of the occupants saying smoke was issuing from the property yesterday evening, Thursday.

Fire control confirmed at the time of call that they had been able to safely evacuate.

A Fire Control spokesperson said: ‘Crews were on scene within minutes and, after entering the property in breathing apparatus, located a small fire in a ground floor flat involving unattended cigarettes in a bedroom, that had caught fire to the bedding.

‘All persons were accounted for and the fire was soon extinguished using one hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera.

‘Damage was confined to the bedding only and there were no casualties.’