Fears are growing over the state of Teignmouth breakwater after a large crack fractured the structure last month, raising concerns that a complete breach would result in sand shifting and blocking the shipping channel.

However, confusion over who owns the sea defence means nobody is taking responsibility for repairs.

The breakwater was built in the early 1900s on land owned by The Crown Estate. However, while The Crown Estate is the landowner, a spokesperson clarified that it ‘doesn’t own the structure’.

While Teignbridge District Council, Teignmouth Harbour Commission and the Environment Agency all have an interest in the breakwater, none of them own the title.

Newton Abbot MP Martin Wrigley said the dispute over ownership is ‘a massive concern’. He pointed out that there is a significant amount of work required to fix the breakwater. ‘I think there’s a lot of people who will be denying responsibility because of the potential cost,’ he commented. ‘But we also need everyone to work together to come up with a solution because if the end of that breakwater comes off and blocks the navigable channel – all or in part – then it becomes a problem for everyone,’ he added.

Despite nobody taking responsibility for actual repairs, stakeholders including Teignmouth Harbour Commission and Teignbridge District Council, said they are working hard to reach a solution.

Teignmouth Harbour Commissioner Rob Parsons said he is fighting to get something done to ensure the safety of Teignmouth, Shaldon and the river. ‘We will never abdicate our responsibilities, and we will continue to work with all parties to get to a solution. We take navigational safety extremely seriously and we are not going to give up,’ he said.

Teignbridge District Council has also met with stakeholders ‘connected to this legacy structure’ and, a spokesperson commented, ‘we will continue to liaise with them as they develop plans to reduce further damage to the area’.

Mr Wrigley vowed to ensure no one shirks their responsibilities and said he would ‘make sure that they do help each other to find a way through because Teignmouth cannot afford to lose that breakwater’.

An upgrade of the Point Breakwater has been identified as one of the next steps in the Teignmouth Beach Management Plan, which is due to be approved by Teignbridge District Council Executive Committee on March 10.

The plan, which was developed in collaboration with the Environment Agency, covers Holcombe, Shaldon and Teignmouth, including the Point. ‘It is based on scientific evidence and class leading modelling to identify risks and where improvements to our coastal defences are needed, as well as the potential funding and construction mechanisms required to deliver them,’ a Teignbridge District Council spokesperson explained.

Martin Wrigley wearing his trademark yellow scarf along with a yellow jacket sitting by the Teignmouth breakwater crack
Martin Wrigley examines the crack in Teignmouth's breakwater (Photo: David Caunter) (David Caunter)